Interviewing a Personal Trainer – What are some questions that people should ask a personal trainer before hiring them?
Choosing the perfect personal trainer can be an overwhelming task. I cannot stress enough how important it is to do your homework before hiring a personal trainer. In my personal training career, I have seen many more mediocre personal trainers than I’ve seen exceptional personal trainers. Do not be afraid to interview each prospect personal trainer to find out if he/she seems to be a good fit for you and your goals. In fact, interview 3-5 personal trainers before deciding whom to hire. Hiring a personal trainer is a large financial investment, so there is no need to rush into making a decision. During this interview process, here are some questions that you can ask:
- How long have you been a personal trainer?
- What is your educational background?
- How many personal training clients are your currently working with?
- Why did you become a personal trainer?
- Why should I hire you?
- What do you offer that other personal trainers do not?
- Can you take me through a complimentary, sample workout to give me a glimpse of the types of exercises you will have me perform?
- What would be YOUR goals as my personal trainer to help me reach MY goals?
Once these questions have been answered, you should have a much better idea of the type of personal trainer that you are dealing with. After you have narrowed your choices down to a couple personal trainers, set up a free training session with each remaining personal trainer. This should be the tell-all moment of which personal trainer would like to hire. Good luck and happy training!